What’s wrong with my bike rack?
Perhaps there is nothing wrong with the rack itself, but is it correctly installed and well located / positioned?
When you install bike parking, the position really matters….. that way it will be correctly used and make your investment of time and money worthwhile.
The guide published by Austroads will steer you in the right direction. They have a standard set of measurements called the bicycle spacing envelope.
Installation needs to be secure. A bike rack that is not securely fastened could be removed, damaged or repositioned inappropriately. A professional installation should also ensure the correct positioning of the rack, but it is best to pay close attention to the process. Installation can cost more than the rack itself, so it pays to get it right first time!
The best located bike racks are:
- As close to the front entrance as possible (visitor parking)
- Level / safe access (without having to navigate the depths of the carpark)
- Visible – to provide passive security
- Monitored – to provide more active security
- In a well lit location
- If possible, under cover
- Out of the way of car doors, disabled access, pedestrians, signage, etc.
- Not too close to bus and taxi stands or anywhere people queue
- Allow enough space for other users to navigate, including mobility scooters, prams, wheelchairs, and shopping trolleys
- Clearly marked as bike parking
Workplace, Education, and Residential bike parking have a different set of characteristics and these can be found in the Austroads guide; and your district plan may (or may not!) provide guidance. (Note that district plan provisions may not reflect best practice, so refer to the Austroads guide to be sure)
Good bike racks aren’t hard to find
- supports the frame (not just the wheel)
- allows secure locking
Where do you find them? Great question. Check out these suppliers. Remember if you are going to invest in bike parking, do it once and do it right. Otherwise you might be disappointed when it is not used or complained about….
Wheel benders are kind of like giving dead flowers. It might be the thought that counts…. but it won’t win you any love.
For more on what makes good bike parking, and what doesn’t check out:
Wheel benders – what’s all the fuss?
Everything you wanted to know about Bike Parking…..
Bikes Welcome believe in making it easier to ask for and get great bike parking: it’s The Bikes Welcome way. Please help us spread our message by supporting our upcoming Pledge Me campaign, please follow us on Facebook or follow this blog to find out more.